Monday, November 7, 2016

It's Going to Be Okay, I Promise

It's November 7th. Tomorrow, America elects its next president.

And my goodness, people are losing their minds.

Don't worry, this isn't a post in which I'm going to put in my two cents about who to vote for, who to vote against, and any reasons I may have. I'm not going to throw around any tired rhetoric or add to the deluge of political ideology that is currently taking over the internet.

What I will do is respond to an attitude I have seen amongst my fellow Christians.

I saw a post recently which talked about our duty as Christians to stand for what's right and vote to promote goodness and liberty. I agree with that. One of the wonderful things about being an American is the right to vote for our own candidates for president, senator, representative, governor, mayor, etc. Since we have this ability, yes, we have an obligation to vote in the way the we see to be morally correct.

My problem with the post came when it asserted that we shouldn't just be "trusting God" and "relaxing". It compared our duty to our country to that of a mother and her child. If the child was in danger, surely the mother would be desperately making every effort to save her child, not sitting back relaxing and trusting God.

My problem is that this approach seems to me to be in conflict with what God says:

Philippians 4:6 (ESV) says, "Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God."

Surely God is more capable by far of rescuing the child. The mother is just a human being. Not all-powerful, not all-knowing, and not purely good, loving, and righteous. God is. 

If there is anyone out there who truly has gained such a level of trust in God that there is no shadow of anxiety in their heart over this election, then I say that they are the ones who've really got it right. I certainly have a lot to learn about trusting God completely. 

Do your part in the election. Be a good citizen. But please... please stop trying to take on the burden of running the world. That's God's job, and He knows exactly what He is doing. 

The Bible also says in Daniel 2: 20-21, "Daniel answered and said: "Blessed be the name of God forever and ever, to whom belong wisdom and might. He changes times and seasons; he removes kings and sets up kings; he gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to those who have understanding;""

This seems pretty clear to me. God uses people to accomplish His will, but He does NOT need them. The Lord, who made heaven and earth and is totally sovereign over it all, is perfectly, rightfully, and completely in control. 

So, in the midst of all of the anxiety, despair, and rampant depression I can say this: It's going to be okay. Whoever wins, whatever happens, in peace, war, abundance or poverty, it will be okay. Because our hope is not in politicians, our country, or ourselves. Our hope is in God and He never fails.

It will all be okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment